We’ve added another member to the #MODsquad, and she comes to us straight from sunny San Francisco. Please help us welcome MOD’s newest marketing manager, Katy! Read up on this spunky Chicago native and music junkie in the below Q & A.
What sparked your interest in graphic design/marketing?
I grew up going on ski trips with family and friends. I switched to snowboarding in 4th grade for rebellious reasons and because the boards were dope! They always looked cooler, more colorful and more interesting than skis. Once I realized graphic designers and artists were the people creating those masterpieces, I was hooked and wanted to learn how.
My interest in marketing came about later in life when I realized how impactful and growing of a field it is. As technology continues to progress and business models adapt, marketing is the knight in shining armor melding it all together.
What do you like to do in your free time?
Live music, painting, decorating, running, searching for the world’s greatest taco, drinking wine, making people happy. I’m in the process of becoming a DJ so you can (hopefully) see me live at SXSW 2017.
Name three people, dead or alive, that you would love to grab drinks with.
1. Pop champagne with Michael Jordan in the locker room right after he won six championships in the 90’s.
2. Whiskey with John Lennon after he and the rest of The Beatles traveled to India.
3. Keg stand with Rosa Parks after being released from jail for refusing to give up her seat.
What are three things most people don’t know about you?
1. I used to write for a music blog which allowed me to interview musicians and run press at music festivals.
2. I backpacked through Europe.
3. I played lacrosse in high school.
What’s your favorite spot in Austin?
Ahhh, you saved the hardest question for last. There are so many spots to love, but first to come to mind is Lou Neff Point on the Roy and Ann Butler Hike and Bike Trail. I took a pic of it a few months back and I’m working on a painting of it!